Today, work place interaction has become crucial to success. How we portray ourselves at work can be a significant factor in determining our career growth. Hence, it is important to interact at the workplace keeping in mind our future success. Here are some tips about how to effectively interact at work, which are guaranteed to bring you work place success!
Portray yourself as a knowledgeable, able individual at workplace. Today, the workplace demands up-to-date and competent people who are not only outstanding employees, but also display confidence and strong interpersonal skills. This can be crucial to your career advancement in the future. For example, you are more likely you to be promoted to an executive position if you are productive at work and display qualities to efficiently lead and organize. Get started:
- Strike up an interesting conversation during lunch about local or global happenings. This is a great way to let others know that you are up to date about your surroundings.
- Talk about business opportunities relating to your career field with your fellow co-workers.
- You don’t have to stick political or business topics. Share your thoughts, inspirations and life experiences!
- Who is your target audience? It is important to recognize who you are communicating with and what might be of interest to them.
- Think about WHAT you are communicating to others. Don’t just bring up topics you are unaware about just for the sake of a discussion. This will backfire!
Find a balance
Don’t be insecure about things you are unaware of, but at the same time never take too much pride about your expertise and skills. It is about striking a balance between the two. Embracing this positive, healthy attitude will definitely take you miles in your career.
- Accept the fact that you aren’t a superhuman: You don’t know everything and you can learn from others!
- Don’t shy away from asking questions, thinking it will make you look uninformed.
- Accept & recognize valuable input from your fellow employees.
- Accept & value criticism. This can help you build and improve your career skills.
- Gain feedback from others. This might you a fresh perspective over things.
Daisy Auger-Domínguez, from Disney ABC TV Group said, “It’s about finding that right balance. Knowing what you know and also knowing what you don’t know and being able to engage with folks who will be able to help you grow, build, and develop those skills.”
Everybody loves a couple of hearty laughs at the office while caught up in their daily, tiring routine. However, office humor goes beyond sharing a few laughs. Researchers often tie tasteful and charming humor to success at work. Here are a couple of reasons for you to start being the office clown:
- Quality relationships: Numerous studies reveal that individuals who are witty are more likable & seen as intelligent, trustworthy people by others. Humor can often transform the tense office atmosphere to a friendlier environment, enabling one to build quality relationships with the people around them.
- Stress Killer: “Humor offers a cognitive shift in how you view your stressors: an emotional response and a physical response that relaxes you when you laugh” says Michael Kerr, an international business speaker & president of Humor at Work. By making others laugh, you are not only relieving others of their everyday tensions, but yourself too. A relaxed and stress-free mind is the key to successful day at work!
- Creative thinking: Ker says, “Humor is a key ingredient in creative thinking,” It gives us a fresh perspective over ideas, stimulating innovative thoughts. All this leads to a productive day at the workplace!
Warning: This might backfire if you don’t have a good sense of humor or crack offensive jokes!
A final word of advice: Work hard, stay positive and be yourself!